I don't know about you guys, but I'm constantly on the hunt for a different salad to add into my rotation.
My philosophy has always been that healthy eating doesn't need to be boring. That said, you can only eat a basic b kale salad so many times before your taste buds are screaming for something new.
This simple salad is the perfect way to shake things up. The roasted butternut squash provides delicious Fall vibes. Roasted veggies just do it for me - especially during the chillier months. I find them oddly comforting. I like the butternut squash almost carmelized , it adds so much flavor!
The spiralized beets are seriously pretty, and have that earthy taste that enhances the Fall feeling. You can spiralize them yourself, or buy them pre-cut from the grocery store (Whole Foods often carries them.) OR you can simply dice a beet up. Do you here.
I used organic arugula because it's my favorite base and has a very subtle peppery flavor, but you could substitute for spinach or mixed greens.
I love organic rotisserie chicken for some added protein. And I purchased this one from the grocery store.... because who has time on an average day to roast a whole chicken?( If you're vegetarian can easily leave the chicken out.)
OKAY guys, let's talk about the dressing. This is a salad game changer. It's dreamy really. It's light but creamy at the same time, and isn't loaded with salt, sugar, and hard to pronounce chemicals like most bottled dressings.
Truthfully I'll be eating this long past Fall.
Do you guys ever get in salad ruts? What's your go-to mix? Tell me below!
- 1 Bag Arugula or Spinach
- 1 butternut squash *you may have some leftover to save
- 1 Beet - can also buy pre spiralized or diced
- 8 oz pulled rotisserie chicken (optional)
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/4 Cup Tahini
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or agave
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cloves fresh garlic minced or 1 tbsp jarred minced garlic
- Trader Joe's everything but the bagel seasoning mix (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place diced squash on a sheet pan with or without foil and drizzle with olive or avocado oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, turning once half way through.
- Prep beets, and avocado and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine tahini, squeezed lemon juice, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and garlic. Stir or whisk well. Taste - and add salt and pepper if like. If the dressing is too thick add a tiny bit of water to thin out. Set aside.
- Slice chicken, and discard skin.
- Add squash, beets, avocado, and chicken to a bed of arugula. Mix dressing again, and drizzle on top of salad. Add an (optional) few shakes of everything-but-the-bagel-seasoning, or salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy! Let me know what you think!